McClures Heritage

In 1945 Bill McClure began selling Morecambe Bay shrimps from his hand-cart in Kendal. He couldn’t have known then but his values of customer service and choice were laying the foundations for a business which is now one of the 1000 Companies to Inspire Britain; in the hands of his son and grandsons, and today is serving new generations of many of his original customers.

See into our past:

Our Historical Timeline:

  • Connector.

    1945

    Bill started the business after being demobbed from the RAF, by hawking locally caught flukes, shrimps, cockles, mussels at the weekly Kendal market.

  • Connector.

    1953

    First shop opened in Stramongate, Kendal.

  • Connector.

    1956

    McClure & Parkin butchers opened Stramongate, Kendal.

  • Connector.

    1960

    Warehouse & shop opened in Alexandra Road, Windermere.

  • Connector.

    1960

    Retail shop opened, Bowness-on-Windermere.

  • Connector.

    1962

    Retail shop opened, Main Street, Grange Over Sands.

  • Connector.

    1980

    Warehouse/Cash & Carry opened, College Road, Windermere.

  • Connector.

    1984

    Bought JT Parsons, College Road, Windermere.

  • Connector.

    1987

    Joined Sterling Super Group.

  • Connector.

    1995

    Bought JW Carlise, Kendal.

  • Connector.

    2010

    McClures, College Road, Windermere redevelopment completed.